Friday, March 30, 2007

Goodie Mob Said It Best...

"People don't dance no mo'...all they do is this..." Yep, Goodie Mob took the words right out of my mouth. This Hip Hop Generation is just not active enough. Now I'm willing to bet that some of the blame can be placed on the music that we're putting out now. See, I'm a product of the time when Hip Hop/Rap songs were enjoyed while getting a nice high cardio workout. Remember "Breakdancing", the "Kid N Play", "Running Man", "The Wop", "MC Hammer" and for a nice cool down we had "The Snake" and "The Electric Slide". As I remember many of our songs back then called for the dance you should be doing at the time. It was get up and get active. Now (and this makes me feel so old although I can "Walk It Out" with the best) everything is all about standing in place. Think about it, "Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It", "Snap Yo Fingers" and "Rock Yo Hips". Really how much energy does it take to do that? Is there any wonder why America is such an obese nation and approximately 30% of our children are obese?

In my Power Pops post, I said that I would start the "Power Pops Diet" and chart my progress for the next 6 weeks. Part of that diet is getting exercise and becoming more active. As big a sports fan as I am, one would think that I wouldn't have fallen off after high school (I played soccer, basketball, track & field and was on the dance & drill teams). But you know what? I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Let me just go ahead, break out my b-boy stance and get my dance on! Awwww shucks...watch out now!

No comments: