Thursday, April 5, 2007

Good and Nappy

For me, going back to my roots aka getting off the "creamy crack"( as we say in the nappy world), was a no brainer. It was a dark and stormy night (not really...just added that for dramatic effect) in October 2004 when I said to my aunt "Auntie, I think I'm going to stop relaxing my hair". She said "Oh yeah? I think that will look good on you because you have a good grade of hair". STOP! What was that supposed to mean? What's this "good hair", "bad hair" thing we have in the Black Community? It really makes no sense to me because in my eyes all healthy, "taken care of" hair is "good" hair. I'd always felt that way, even before I rediscovered my beautiful natural hair texture (in case you're wondering yes that's a freshly snapped picture of my cottony texture).

I'm sure we've all heard the "reasons" against reclaiming natural hair. Personally, I think we just need to stop with the excuses, get our minds right, accept and reclaim our uniqueness as the most often imitated culture (people) ever (here's a pretty affirming post to help you out a bit) See, this is one little decision that can have an effect on your personal health and wellness single handedly. Say what? Total Health and Wellness incorporate the mind, body and soul (spirit). By deciding to sport your natural hair you have 1) shouted to the world that you accept yourself as you are, 2) you inherently become more conscious of what you're putting in your body, 3) you take better care of yourself, 4) you have more positively rewarding relationships 5) you open yourself to expanding your mind and amassing more knowledge. Those are just off the top of my head. Trust me natural hair is only the beginning of the new you. Now I don't want you to get the idea that this is going to be easy or that it'll happen overnight because of course this is a process, a transition. But once you've made the commitment to yourself, you won't want to go back. This has got to be another of the most freeing decisions you'll ever make.

Ready to affect change in your world? I applaud your decision. My suggestions for first steps are: join Nappturality, read Natural Haircare books, Naturally You! Magazine and Motown Girl, sneak a peek at natural hair pictures and albums and get some transitioning moisture tips from this Afrobella post. Finally, don't forget this little affirmation and say it loud, "I'M NAPPY AND PROUD!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah it seems to be all about natural hair now. Kind of trendy if you ask me.

~OHSucker~ said...

Don't know how I missed this one. Sorry! Hmm...I don't know if I agree that natural hair is a trend...I think a lot of it has to do more with wanting to be TOTALLY healthy.